Assigning Carnegie Units to Students under Typical High School Age

Students Under Typical High School Age

How does this affect your student's admission into a university?

NOTE: Students under typical high school age wanting to take courses for High School credit are required to have a consultation with the Guidance Department.

UC/CSU -The transcript is set up chronologically, so a student who starts taking courses in 8th grade and graduates on time will have a 5 year transcript showing: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Courses and grades on the college application are "self reported" meaning the student enters all grades and the official transcript is sent after the student has been accepted (in June). If the transcript does not align with what the student reported on the application, the student's acceptance may be rescinded.

7th or 8th Grade - UC/CSU and most private universities/colleges only allow math and foreign language in 7th and 8th to count toward college entrance, the student will have an opportunity to list the course on the college application but is not allowed to include the grade earned

9th Grade - students can list the courses they took and the grade earned, however, the GPA will not be calculated into the UC/CSU GPA

10th and 11th grade - UC/CSU will only calculate the 10th and 11th grade years, into the UC/CSU GPA

12th grade - students list work in progress, grades are not reported because applications are due by November 30th before grades are issued for the semester

Private Universities -The transcript is set up chronologically and will still show the student with 5 years worth of work 8,9,10,11,12 (if high school courses begin grade 8). Most universities will recalculate the GPA based on 10th and 11th grade, but all ask for an official transcript with the application, so many will use the Total GPA (all grades, all courses) for admissions purposes. The private universities also ask for a School Profile and a letter of recommendation from the Guidance Department. This gives us an opportunity to explain our school and that the student was advanced and started taking high school level courses early. Your student needs to request this from the Guidance Department well in advance of the application deadline.

Do concurrent enrollment community college classes taken while with CWCS count in the 60 units required if a student takes more community college classes after leaving CWCS and then becomes a transfer student?

Yes, in most cases. Some Private Universities/Colleges will not allow this, though, so your student should check with the Community College to make sure. Taking college courses while in high school is a wonderful opportunity for students because the student has the option to count the course on both the high school transcript AND the Community College transcript (NOTE: all CC's, UC's, and CSU's allow this. Some private universities do not allow this practice, also known as "double dipping"). This means that students can be earning college units toward their college degree while in high school! This saves students time and money later on, especially if the Community College waives the per unit fee for concurrently enrolled high schoolers (MJC, Merced, Las Positas).

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.